Friday, May 4, 2007

Introduction

I want to create a cookbook so it makes it easy on vegan families with kid(s). I am stay-at-home-mom and it’s a full time 24/7 job. From my experience I found out how hard it is to take an attention from my child to just make a coffee, not to mention the whole meal. I decided to start having a cooking day on the weekend when my husband is at home so he can play with our daughter while I cook.

As I got to know more and more vegetarian moms, mostly thanks to my on line support group Urban Veggie which we transferred under Vegnod.com, I found out that we have pretty much same issue. What to cook preferably in a short time so we get a variety of foods, so it’s not boring to our families, and just plain: I am running out of ideas.

I searched in my head and my recipe notes for meals that can be modified to be vegan and cooked ahead of the time and store in a fridge or a freezer for later and still be nutritious and most importantly tasty.

Another reason of my efforts was a reaction to people commentaries such as: Vegetarian (vegan if they knew what that is)? And what do you eat? – Or - I always wanted to be a vegetarian, but I just do not know what to cook and more, how to plan my meals to stay healthy. (Getting enough all that protein and stuff) – or – I do not want to mess up my kids health. In times of tv –frozen-dinners or ready-to-eat food where there is almost no involvement in cooking and creative thinking of preparing a meal it can be hard and even intimidating to try to break from the habitual meat-and-potato diet. This kind of eating habits is by far not an ideal choice, but because it’s a still majority way of eating, it is somehow comforting that we have all we need. All propaganda about the need for animal protein is rooted too deeply into our mind. Even long time vegans might still have doubts and look up some info from time to time. The great think is that now there are so many resources like books and reputable websites and primarily organizations where we can go to get the newest info and our questions answered. Hopefully this blog will be one of the helpful resourses.

No comments: