Sunday, May 13, 2007

Devil's Food Cake


This is a recipe from VegNews February 2007 Issue. I could not resist to try it and it turned out great! AND it's very simple.
When I make a dish baked in the oven I usually make a desert as well since I have the oven fired up. Good excuse to have cakes huh? ;o)

It makes 8 inch round cakes
I made it in a 9 1/2 inch spring pan. It doesn't look so fancy, but it's tasty as well.

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 dark brown sugar
1 cup filtered water
1/4 olive oil, plus additional for pans
2 tbsp red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 fresh beets, peeled and finely grated (I did not have fresh beets so I used small can of beets including the water and it worked as well)
Fluffy Frosting - recipe bellow

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Oil the pan(s)
You can dust the pan with the cocoa powder.

Mix all the dry ingredients.
Mix all the rest wet ingredients add the can of beets. Now you can either mix it all up in a food processor or I like to use my hand wand mixer and a tall bowl so you don't get the red beet color all over your kitchen walls.
Add it to the dry mixture.
Either divide the batter to the 2 pans or spoon just in the larger pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean dry.

Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes and remove from baking pan(s). Place on a dish and let cool completely before frosting.


Frosting

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 vegan butter
1/4 cup soy or rice milk (I used the vanilla soy)
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk or beat together by hand or electrical mixer. Use immediately or cool in a fridge.
If you use 2 pans. Top the first pan with frosting and place the second on top and top it with the rest of the frosting. Otherwise top it on the cake and enjoy.

No comments: